Thursday, January 3, 2013

I Love Alor Star




Alor Star is one of the most oldest city in Malaysia.Thankfully despite the recent so called economical development, it still maintain the simplicity and the peacefulness of a small town. I must confess that I was not born in this city. Instead I was born in Kuala Lumpur , the metropolitan hub of this country. I spent most of my childhood and youth in KL. In KL, I know where to find cheap second hand books near Bangkok Bank, the short-cuts to go about in the city; but that was those days. Nowadays KL is a place where I don't really fancy living in. It doesn't have personality. Personality goes a long way mind you. To quote Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction "...by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal.." I'm not saying that living in KL is that grotesque but i think you get my message.

Alor Star got personality, the same goes to Ipoh [those days], Taiping and for that matter Kota Bahru. I still can walk around and find the same stuff years back in the middle of the town. My dad used to tell me that the best place to have a dinner for two in the 70's was a place where they house the Standard Chartered Bank before they move it to the current building. The first open air rooftop restaurant in Alor Star, some say in Malaysia. It was where all the high class party situated and among the trendiest place at that time.




My dad love to dress up, so he told me that there was a place to get authentic GQ shirt and also the best custom tailor in town. Amazingly, those stores are still around till today. But they have seen better days..Nowadays people go to Hypermarket...There are currently 3 hypermarkets in Alor Star and one more is purportedly in the offing..The Drycleaners at lorong merpati still ask about my late dad and how he was her best customer. When i stop by the drycleaners, they would themselves carry all my cloths and put it in my car. Do you get that kind of service elsewhere'?

I do go to hypermarkets, I'm not saying that its bad for the people in Alor Star but its not like "Kedai Runcit Ahlong" near my house or "Kedai Mamak "serabut""..Kedai Runcit Ahlong [not related to Ah Long Menace nowadays] provide delivery service to your doorstep.Whatever you want, he seems to have it all. I used to go to his store and sit by the stool and eat "Kacang Tumbok" while reading the list of groceries out loud to Ahlong; simplicity at its best!

I can't tell you my love hate relationship with Alor Star without referring to my late dad. Everyone seems to know him in the town. Often when i walk around the town with him, he would meet a friend or an old acquaintance and struck up a conversation..he loves to talk and talk and talk. When he speaks, his friends seems to be awe struck under a spell. He does that all the time. He showed me at one time this middle age man about his age cycling about the town. He told me that chap used to be "anak orang kaya kampung" spoilt brat. His father was a rich person and that chap always brags to my father about this and that. But as fate turned out, that chap is still cycling to this day. Oh how i miss my dad and his stories.

People are so friendly here. I once struck a conversation with a slightly older women on the bus en route to Alor Star. I asked her where is she heading to and to my horror, she couldn't stop talking until "Perhentian Bukit Gantang" where I at last faked my slumber. I do appreciate the friendliness but sometimes it could be bad for them cause people could take advantage over them.Some of the people I have met who had legal problems most of the times seems to be so gullible or naive. I think the the simplicity and friendliness must be balanced with the right attitude...I guessed.

I missed the old Alor Star court complex housed in a magnificent pre historic building and the surrounding area. Having long breakfast at Pak Majid stall nearby the old court building. Where you can dine-go the court-continue dining. I am so glad that i started my legal career there as it somehow taught me to be humble and the meaning of true friendship. I love my friends here and we enjoyed the working environment in Alor Star. Nowadays, the Alor Star Court had moved to a majestic new building but does it have personality? I don't know but my friends are still around and they don't have any complaints.

Oh well, I love Alor Star nonetheless and i would continue doing so. My adopted birthplace so to speak..:)

@zulazry 

[Reproduced from my note on facebook dated 13.7.2009 http://www.facebook.com/notes/azry-khalil/i-love-alor-star/101999892443 ]

No comments:

Post a Comment